Friday, May 25, 2012

People Do What They Want To!



I was just thinking.    I bet Amelia Earhart never sat around wishing she could take flying lessons.  



Maya Angelou probably never tucked her writing aside and said, " no one would be interested in my poems."


And it's hard to imagine Mother Teresa living out her life on the sidelines wishing there was something she could do to help people.


After many years, I have come to realize a simple truth.

People do what they want to!

Is that shocking news for anybody?

That truth goes for me too.

I'm trying to be more intentional with things that are important to me.   The things I really want to do.

For instance.  I was not letting last year go by without a trip to Kenya.   The door had closed on three different opportunities for me to go to Africa on a mission trip.   I  REALLY WANTED TO GO!    When a fourth trip came across my path.......well, actually, it didn't come across my path.    I went looking for it.  When the fourth trip came to my "attention" and I was invited to join a Kenya team from Newspring Church, I jumped in with both feet!



When I looked at the dates of the trip, I saw that we had a major fund raising event during that week at work.    I knew my staff they would be fine running it without me.  (and they were.)    I realized I would miss the first Thanksgiving EVER with my girls & my husband. (Secretly, I imagined they would have a whole new appreciation for me if I was away!)   Ha!    It's just one holiday.   Just one meal.   I didn't have all of the money I needed to cover the trip, but I knew that God had given me a desire for serving in Kenya -- and I knew He would provide it.   He did.    And I went.


So, when someone says to me:




"I wish I could go there!"























"I've always wanted to try that."

































"I wish I could run a marathon."


































"I'd love to get in really good shape"
























"I've been meaning to call you."

















"I would love to go on a mission trip."

















" I've always wanted to get my pilot's license"















"I would love to go back to school"






















"I've always wanted to volunteer."
















My question would be:   Do you really want to do that?

Cause if you did, you would do it.

Simple truth.

People.... do.....what...... they........ want...... to.

Astounding discovery.






No comments:

Post a Comment