Monday, November 18, 2013

Light Bulb Moments


One of the best things about being my age?

Learning just a few thing.

Sometimes.

Through plain ole experience.

Also translated.

Light bulb moments.

Truths so simple and true and relevant.

I was literally struck.   Hit between the eyes.



Here's a few.




All stress is rooted in the desire to control.

I heard my favorite Bible teacher make that declaration a few years back.
Beth Moore.
I believe it's true.
Try it on yourself.
Next time you start to get bent out of shape.
Stressed.
Worked up.
Anxious.
Ask yourself.
What am I trying to control?
A loved one?
(Good luck with that.)
Your circumstances?
An outcome?
Your future?
A relationship?

Trust me on this one.
I learned the hard way.
We don't control.
Anything.
So when you feel the stress building.
Take a breath.
Step back.
Ask yourself.
What am I trying to control?
And give yourself a pass.
Release it.
Let it go.
Oh, we try.
But.
We can't control.




I'm not responsible for changing the people in my life.


What a revelation this one was to me.
And, no, I'm not talking about young children.
I'm talking about adult friends.
Family members.
The people in my life.
The ones that struggle.
Have problems.
Lack direction.
Make mistakes.
Need motivation.
I'm not the one appointed.
To straighten them out.
Let me say that again.
I'm not responsible.
For convincing them to do differently.
I get to retire from that job.
I can still care.
I can still be involved in their life.
But I'm not responsible for changing them.
I can point them to the one I know can.
(that would be Jesus.)
But, clearly.
It ain't me.

Whew!
What a relief.
Seriously.
I felt pounds lighter.
When this finally go through to me.



People.....do what they want to.

It's true.
When it's all said and done.
People may make excuses.
Come up with reasons to explain.
But in the end.
People do what they want to.
I do.
You do.
We do.
Let's just be honest.
And cut the excuses.




This life is gone in a flash.

I look in the mirror sometimes.
And I have no idea how I got to be 54.
Life moves quickly.
It's very sobering to face our mortality.
I know many people that never do.
I don't get that.
We're all here a very short time.
Think about what's important.
What do you want to do while you're here?
What's important for you to accomplish?
And once you know.
Get on with it.
For goodness sake.
Just get on with it.






























No comments:

Post a Comment