Sunday, March 30, 2014

Shifting Me



I have seen this work so many times in my life.

The shift that takes place.

When I get intentional about changing my own bad attitude.

I'm sure you've never have a bad attitude.

When you've had several tough days at work.

Or maybe things just don't seem to be going.......right.

When you hear yourself say more times than not.




That's not fair.

Why did that happen?

When will I just catch a break!

I wish "I" could do that.

Seriously!?   they want it THIS week?

Why did....that....have to happen?

I don't understand why everything has to be so hard!




If I find myself on that path.

No, joke.

It's usually a dark path.

And, I generally know when I'm on it.

I try to call it out for what it is.

It's my own terrible attitude.

Hopefully.

I won't choose to waller in it.

Because I know what can shift it.

What can shift me.

Gratitude.







It works.

Sometimes I get in my car at the end of the day.

Nobody but me.

And if I'm feeling that the world is against me.

Oh, Lord.

Slightly dramatic, I know.

But, we all feel that way sometimes.

I start saying out loud.

One after another.

What I'm thankful for.







Other times.

When I don't have the privacy to talk out loud.

And I know I have to change my mind set.

I pull out my journal.

Go sit in my room.

And write them down.

One after another.

What I'm thankful for.



It's amazing.

I start listing.

What may seem very ordinary.

And insignificant.

Those are all things.

I have to be thankful for.





For heat in my house on a cold morning.

And for the bird that's singing at the top of his lungs.

Just outside my window.

For my keurig.


And fresh coffee in the morning.

For clean water that comes out of the faucet.

(sorry.....my Africa obsession is showing.)

And the fact I can walk into a grocery store and buy what I need.



For my job.

And the people I get to work with everyday.

For my car.

That gets me to where I need to go.

For my neighbor.

That bakes wonderful pound cake and shares it with me.



For my mama.

Who's always in my corner.

For garlic and onion cream cheese.

And "Flea Market Flip."



For my husband.

And his love for me.

For skyping with my girl across the country.

Or getting a hug from the one that's still at home.



Thankful.



But  even more importantly.

I get intentional about my thanks to Jesus.

And it looks like this.

Thank you for being a refuge to me when life is hard.

Thank you for never changing.

When everything around me is.

Thank you for always hearing me.

When I pour out what's on my mind.

Thank you for your patience.

When I screw up.

Thank you for your grace.

When I fail to show it to others.



Whether I speak it out loud.

Or journal it down.

When I get intention about "thanks."

My bad attitude shifts.

I shift.

Gratitude......shifting me.




"But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me."  Psalm 50: 23





















No comments:

Post a Comment