Monday, October 16, 2017

Well Placed


From time to time.

I grumble about where I've been placed.

Placed in the sense of where I'm placed to do life.

And where I'm placed to serve.

I'm sure.

You would never do that.

But from time to time.

I grow dissatisfied.

And I consider.

Surely a different place would be easier.

Surely God didn't intend for me to have this place.




Responsibility is a big part.

Of where I've been placed.

And not just in my job.

In several areas of my life.

So.

I imagine sometimes.

What it would be like.

To be placed in life.

With less responsibility.

Or maybe none at all.

A place with more solitude.

Less conflict and demands.

And definitely more peace.

Yeah.

My life would be better.

If I were placed in a place like that.




I wonder what it would be like.

If I worked in my studio all day?


With quiet music and time to create.

Or maybe if I were a gardener at Brookgreen Gardens?



I'd be good with walking the beach every day.

Watching for wayward starfish.


So I could return them back to the ocean.

Maybe I could do animal rescue?


I've had some practice with that.

Or how about just cutting grass with a great lawn mower?


Those are the places I sometimes consider.

Well placed places for me.



This week.

I've been reading out of the book of Luke.

Jesus telling the parable about the four soils.

About what happens to the seeds.

That fall on the footpath.

The rocks.

Among the thorns.

And the fertile soil.

The study notes for this passage struck me.




"In order to be helpful, we need to be well-placed."

"Seek opportunities where you have been placed."




Where.

I.

have.

been.

placed.



When I look at my life that way.

I can see.

That solitary places.

Places of tranquility and peace.

Would not be very useful to Jesus.

And in all honesty.

Not where I'm best suited to be.

He can use me in other places.

Out in the world.

Where life can be difficult.

And hard.

And challenging.

Where people are hurting.

And need encouragement.



Ultimately.

Well placed.

Is where people can catch a glimpse of Him.

Through me.

Where they see love and understanding.

He gives me that chance.

To reflect Him in my place of responsibility.





It's clear.

The time I spend wishing for different circumstances.

Wishing for less responsibility.

Feeling dissatisfied.

Is time.

Wasted for me.

Distracted time.

Ineffective time.

Likely.

It's been an area the enemy has effectively nailed me.

And I don't like that.




So.

I'm being intentional.

Because it won't come naturally to me.

To pay attention.

To the opportunities.

Where I have been placed.



In order to reflect Jesus.

I.

need.

to.

be.

well placed.

And well placed.

Is where He places me.














No comments:

Post a Comment