Monday, October 23, 2017

Interruptions



Interruptions.

I've never looked at them as a positive thing.

Have you?

Someone showed up at our door.

In the evening.

Without calling first.

I'm in my baggy, comfortable, flannel pajamas.

Never mind it's only seven o'clock.

It's been one of those days.

Scott & I had just settled in with a movie.

And plate of fresh avocados & salsa.

(with blue corn chips on the side.)

And.... the door bell rings.

Dang!

Who the heck?

Interruption.



My youngest.

Deciding at the end of her sophomore year at AU.

To move home.

And finish at Lander.

Scott & I were two years into our empty nest.

Well

adjusted.

In our empty nest.

Happy.

Really happy.

In our empty nest.

And our 20 year old moves back home again.

Of course we were supportive.

But it was.

An unexpected development.

A change of plans.

She wasn't an interruption.

But our empty nest?  

Yep.  

It was most definitely  interrupted.





Let's go back a ways.

That time in 2013.

Three days before my flight left for Kenya.

Just about everything is done.

Three days out.

Bag packed.

Malaria pills.    Passport.    Stash of dark chocolate.    

Everything was ready.

And then.

Terrorists attacked a mall in Nairobi.

Kenya is rocked by the tragedy.

As is our team.

The trip

is understandably

postponed.

It's a no-go.

Plans change.

Last minute.

Redirection.



Sometimes plans change in small ways.

Sometimes in big.



So came cancer.

Not what I expected.

Definitely not in my plan.

Tumor.

Surgery.

Oncologists.

Scans.

Life changed overnight.

Interruption.





Life happens.

Things change.

But how do I usually react

When interruptions

come?



Last week I read an interesting question.


How do I see people  or circumstances.

That interrupt my schedule?

That interrupt my plans?

Do I see the interruption as an aggravation?

Or an obstacle?

Or does it ever dawn on me.

That God may be up to something?

That He may be at work in my life?

Or someone else's life?




" On days when things go smoothly,
   according to

   your
   plans,

   you may be unaware of My Sovereign Presence.

   On days when your plans are thwarted,

    Be

    on

    the

    lookout

    for 

    Me.

    I may be doing something important in your life,
     something quite different than you expected." *





I'm beginning to see it's true.



The unexpected visitor at my door?

He drove all the way to Due West.

To ask us for the last spot on our Kenya team.

This trip will have a lasting impact on his life.

I know it will.

It was interruption to my quiet evening on the couch.

But God was doing something much more important in this man's life.




And my youngest moving home?

A change in college resulted in a change of majors.

She found her passion in another field -- art.

And unique job opportunities came her way.

Pursuing something she truly loves.

An interruption to our happy empty nest.

Took her life on a different path.

Again.

God was doing something much more important.





My mission trip postponed three days before departure?

It was a devastating tragedy for Kenya.

And many lives were changed that day.

Our mission trip was rescheduled for a few months later.

My original team.

Combined with a second team at my church.

And one of my new teammates.

Has become.

(Along with her husband and children)

Some of our closest friends.

Plans changed during a tragedy.

But God was working in that loss for good.




Cancer?

It changed the direction of my life.

Completely.

I'm a better person for walking through that experience.

Not what I would ever have chosen.

Clearly an interruption to my life.

But God was doing something much more important.

In me.




"On days when your plans are thwarted,

  be

  on

  the

  lookout

  for

  Me.

I may be doing something important in your life.

Something

quite

different

than

you

expected."*



So, I'm on the lookout.

For interruptions.  

And before I get stressed or annoyed when they come.

I'll try to step back.

Take a breath.

And consider something more important might be in the works.






* Sarah Young "Jesus Calling"







1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog, this reading at this moment, I need. I am awaiting a phone call from my prodigal daughter, she had a court date earlier today and I may need to share This with her. Thank you💔

    ReplyDelete