Saturday, February 21, 2015

10 Signs of "Old House Fixation"



I clearly am.

Obsessed with old houses.

If there was such a thing.

As old house fixation.

I would have it.

Mine would be a text book case.

Terminal.

By anyone's standards.

My symptoms?



1)   I've started to feel sorry for people that decide to buy or build -- new construction.



It absolutely makes no sense.
Whatsoever.
To me.
I can't understand why reasonable people would intentionally choose.
New over old.



2)  I've seriously considered breaking and entering when I spot an abandoned or empty
old property.  



The desire to explore is sometimes more than I can resist.  



3)  I'd pass up shopping at World Market or Pier One.
For a good vintage, antique or consignment shop.
Any day.
Hands down.



Just like old houses.
The old things that go in old houses are way more interesting.
And appealing to me.



4)   I see potential in just about any fixer upper.


When I'm out and about.
My eyes are constantly scanning the horizon.
For old houses.
That need my help!



5)   I've visited the grave sites of the family that built and lived in our 1915 house.
In fact, I see nothing  unusual or creepy about that.
(although my children would strongly disagree.)

Grave of the man who built our house in 1915 Rev. Robert Milton Stevenson
at the Due West Presbyterian Church.

Grave of Milton's wife, Emma.

Photo found behind one of the mantels in our house; subject unknown
- possibly one of the Stevenson children.


It's so interesting to me.
That they lived in my house.
Or more accurately.
That I live in their house.
Milton & Emma & their six children.

They celebrated Christmas' here.
Their hands held the same banister on the stairway.
They laughed in this house.
Enjoyed meals around a table here.
They sat by the same fireplaces.
Walked over the same wood floors.
They lived life under this roof.
And.
I've always felt a bond with them.



6)   I've picked up on interesting old house facts.
For example.
I learned that four spindles to a step is a very unusual staircase.
Our house has four to a step.


And now.
Whenever I go into an old house.
I can't help but count the spindles on each step.
To see if its more or less than four.




7)   I've actually thought through the renovation projects I would take on.
If I won the lottery.



That never used to happen.


8)  I'll take a detour.
In any town I visit.
Just to see the historic district.



I don't covet new cars or expensive clothes.
Give me a Sears & Roebuck House.
Or a Craftsman Bungalow.




And transom windows.
Give me pocket doors.


9)   I've become down right "haughty" when it comes to judging people that cover
old houses with vinyl siding.



It's wrong  - I know.
But I judge you a little if you do it.


10)  The number of fireplaces in a house is more important to me.
Than the size of the closets.


Give me an old fireplace and a mantel.
Any day.
Over a walk in closet!


Old house fixation.
Incurable I'm afraid.
Happily so.














1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree and stand with you on your thoughts about the previous owners. The show "If walls could talk" I found fascinating! I feel like jumping out of the car to scrape and paint an old house. Don't feel alone. There is at least one more of you out there. ��

    ReplyDelete