Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I've Heard Plenty of Reasons


I'm in the throws of fund raising for my upcoming return trip to Kenya with Newspring Church - part of their ministry to the people of a remote, rural area of Kenya called Segera.     I'm SO HAPPY that this time, Scott has decided to submit to God's urging (smile) and come with me.  Okay.  I confess.  I've been campaigning for him to come since I signed back up.    We'll be leaving in just two short months - over the Thanksgiving holidays.

These trips have been one of the most satisfying experiences of my life.  I can't...for the life of me, understand why everybody wouldn't want to go.

But, I've heard plenty of reasons.

I don't have the money.
I hate flying.
It's not safe.
I'm afraid.
I'll get homesick.
What would my family do without me?
What about germs?
Why would I go to Africa?

Oh, people.

Here's what you're missing.

A group of strangers will become your family within a few short days.



You'll fly 18 hours.  Big Deal.  Good movies & companionship pass the time! (Ambien doesn't hurt either.)



Once on the ground, you'll travel in style!


You'll do a little dancing.



Hang out with some new friends.


Have kids fight for your attention and hand.



Paint some fingernails.



Chop some veggies for lunch.





Serve up some hot food for kids that may only get that one meal all day.



You'll have lots of opportunities to show LOVE.




To Serve.





To see someone accept Christ and pass from "death to life."




To wash a few dishes.



To worship in an unforgettable church service.


Lend a hand to someone that could use it.


To see incredible landscapes.



To see a mother's life change.



To provide a copy of the Word to people that might have never been given one.



To see disabled kids once shunned by a village, bask in the care & attention of the Americans.



To see the value of clean, accessible WATER.



To sip on a cup of Chai tea before dawn at a watering hole.




Experience life on the wild side.



Share a Thanksgiving Meal far from home with people that feel like family.



Head back home, forever changed.


Yeah.   Pretty good reasons to reconsider.     For more information, go to http://newspring.cc/kenya/
or http://www.410bridge.org/.   And P.S.  to everyone that's supported our trip -- THANK YOU!
This is a great investment.  Don't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    This is my favorite post so far! I love it...Bless you for going and good luck...I wish (and pray) that one day I might be able to do this once I retire....I admire you so much....Love you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete