Wednesday, August 23, 2017

My False Sense of Security



I watched their grainy images on our camera security system.

One of them crawled through a window at our office.

And walked to a door to let the others inside.

Over the course of the evening.

They smashed windows.

And used a crowbar to pry open office doors.

Including mine.

They sat at my desk.

In my chair.

Riffled through papers and my things.

They threw beer cans across the room.

Knocked over furniture.

And lamps.

And then they left.

They appeared to be just kids.

The police came to investigate the next morning.

They interviewed some neighbors close by.

But the boys in the grainy video images.

Were never identified or found.



The break-in happened last year where I work.

Repairs to smashed windows were made.

Broken things were replaced.

And the memory of it now.

Has faded.

But I felt different because they were there.

And that uneasiness hasn't completely gone away.




Most days.

I rest in what's comfortable.

I rest in what's routine.

I get lulled into a false sense of security.

Safe neighborhoods.

Locked doors.

Alarm systems.

The small town where I live.




But I'm reminded.

Just like that morning at the office.

That my security is not dependent on an alarm system.

Or what party occupies the White House.

My security isn't dependent on my family.

Or how much I have in my retirement account.

I know from walking with Him.

That ultimately.

He.

Is my only real security.



"Nothing can separate you from my loving presence.

 That's the basis of your security."



 "Whenever you start to feel anxious,

 Remind yourself that your security rests in Me alone."



I'm visual.

I'm an artist.

I depend on what I can see.

So, it's a challenge for me.

Many times.

To depend on what I cannot see.

But He reminds me.


"I am nearer than you think,

 Richly present in all your moments.



The more aware you are of My presence,

 The safer you feel.



 I am far more real than the world you can see,

Hear, and touch."

                              "Jesus Calling" Sarah Young




And when I remember that.

My false sense of security.

Is gone.

And my real security.

Is found.























1 comment:

  1. Everyone needs to read this. Thank you for showing insecurity in comparison to the strength of our Father's love.

    ReplyDelete