Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wow! I'm 53 today!



I have a special friend that well into her 90's now.    Ruth.  She moved away from Greenwood to live near her daughter several years ago, but I call her every year on her birthday.    I remember her telling me once that she looked at herself in the mirror sometimes and couldn't believe how old she was.   Then she would throw her head back and laugh - as she often did.

I'll never forget her telling me "....I still feel like 16 on the inside.   I don't feel any different at all!.."   I've never forgotten that.

Today I turn 53.


I'll attest to what Ruth said.  It's going by fast!  

This morning in the study notes of my Bible in the book of James, I read:

"...life is short no matter how many years we live.  don't be deceived into thinking that you have  lots of remaining time to live for Christ, to enjoy your loved ones, or to do what you know you should.   Live for God today.  Then....no matter when your life ends, you will have fulfilled His plan for you..."

I'm taking that as a word on my birthday.

This year, I want to take more chances for Him, live with less fear and be willing to be uncomfortable for Him.   I want to open my heart wider to people and love more freely through Him.   I don't want to miss a single opportunity He has for me.   A single experience He has for me.    If I'm blessed to see July 7, 2013, I hope I can look back at this next year and say......you did the thing!    You lived each day.   You loved.   You were willing to forgive.   You lived with courage and showed kindness.     You took chances.     You made a difference.   That's what I want to be able to say.

"Happy Birthday, to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment