Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Cure For Self Pity

Admit it.

I know it's not just me.

We all go through times.

Periods.

Short ones, hopefully.

Of self-pity.

I'm not proud to say.

I've had one in recent weeks.

The details are so not important to share.

Because details of my self pity.

Wouldn't look much different than yours.

It usually goes like this.

"I'm not appreciated."

"That didn't go as I hoped."

"That hurt."

"If I only had............"

Or.

"That's not fair."

"I was slighted."

"She was so rude!"

Yeah.

Uggghhhh.

Self pity is not attractive.

But.

Does it sound familiar?

Many times.

I travel down the road of self pity for some time.

Before it hits me.

This....... is ridiculous!

Not that I feel disappointment sometimes.

But that what starts as a small.

A little.

Disappointment.

Picks up steam.

And rolls into a giant!

Huge.

Downward rolling.

Trip of self pity!

I knew almost without thinking.

How to correct my self pity.

Self pity can't exist with gratitude.

I've heard that many times.

It  just can't do it.

And maybe it would be enough for you.

To "think" of what IS going good in your life.

But for me.

I'm a visual girl.

It means more to me to WRITE it down on paper.

So.

Over the last few days.

That's what I've done.

I found a journal I hadn't used.

And I christened it to be my gratitude journal.

And everyday.

For the last few days.

I've made time.

To write down.

What I am grateful for each day.

And I was amazed.

At how many things.

I could actually list.

One.

After another.

After another.

It's a fact.

When I changed my focus on what's NOT going good.

To what IS good.

I shift.

All of me.

And as I sit in the morning.

In this chair.

And enjoy the lights from my Christmas tree.

In my home.

That I share with my sweet man.

And I recognize.

That my house is warm.

I have food in my kitchen to eat.

And clothes in my closet to wear.

And coffee.......thank you Jesus.....from my new Keurig.

I have a great deal to be thankful for.

Shifting my focus.

As simple as that.





"thankfulness opens your heart to My presence and your mind to My thoughts.
 you may still be in the same place, with the same set of circumstances, but
 it's as if a light has been switched on, enabling you to see from My perspective.
 it is this light of My presence that removes the sting from adversity."

 "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young



No comments:

Post a Comment