Monday, December 9, 2013

I'm Afraid of Normal




Do you have a hard time fessing up to what you fear?

I've become a less fearful person since cancer.

There's something about walking through that experience.

You grow.

Good grief!

I certainly hope I grew.

But I still experience fear.

And.

For me.

There's a strong spiritual aspect to fear.

The enemy loves to whisper fear over my life.

And if I'm not careful.

I'll buy it.

Hook.

Line.

And sinker.

So, what do I fear?

Sometimes I fear the future.

What the future might hold.

I sometimes fear failing.

At my job.

Or in my most important relationships.

Because people are counting on me.

And I don't want to let them down.

Sometimes I fear losing Scott.

Or my children.

That's not unusual, I guess.

To fear losing the people I love the most.

But I'm also fearful.

Of not living the fullest life that I can.

Having too normal a life scares me to death.

I guess my view of normal is a bit twisted.

To me, normal plays it safe.

Normal won't go out on a limb.

Or take a risk.

When I think of living the fullest life I can.

I believe that's what God wants for me.

And the last thing I want to do.

Is settle.

For safe.

And risk free.

That's not what Jesus is all about.

Really following after Him can be scary.

His goal is not for me to be comfortable.

He's always leading me to change.

Always.

Leading.

Me.

To change.

And that means stepping out.

Being uneasy.

And I don't always like that.

But at the same time.

I'll take my chances with Him.

Because.

I'm more afraid of normal.



"Be willing to go out on a limb with Me.
If that is where I am leading you,
it is the safest place to be.

Your desire to live a risk-free life is a form of unbelief.
Your longing to live close to Me is at odds
with your attempts to minimize risks.  

Your are approaching a crossroads in your journey.
In order to follow Me wholeheartedly,
you must relinquish your tendency to play it safe.

Let Me lead you step by step through this day.
If your primary focus is on Me,
you can walk along perilous paths without being afraid.

Eventually, you will learn to relax and enjoy the adventure
of our journey together.
As long as you stay close to Me, 
My sovereign presence protects you wherever you go.

December 9th  "Jesus Calling"  Sarah Young




No comments:

Post a Comment