Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sometimes, only face down will do....


A few years back -- and to the credit of a friend.

I was challenged to begin the more regular habit.

Of spending time with Jesus.

I'm an early riser.

Even on the weekends, I'm usually up before 7.

Sitting in my favorite place.

My chair in the living room.

And yes.

Coffee is essential.



Absolutely essential.

But, I go there almost without fail.

To read my bible and devotion.

And then spend time in prayer.

I used to do it this way.

Sitting in my chair.



"Thinking" the prayer in my mind.

I'm sorry to say.

I often drifted in my thoughts.

A prayer about the day.

Often drifted to random thoughts about the day ahead.

Sorry Lord.

"Now, let's get back to it.  What was I saying?"

Then I started speaking my prayers out loud.

I liked that better.

I'm easily distracted.

So speaking my prayers out loud kept me more focused.

I sat in my chair.

And talked out loud to God in a conversational voice.

In the privacy of my living room.

Before my family was up and about.

Then circumstances in my life got hard.

Trouble.   Stress.   Cancer.    Teenagers.     Future.

You know.

The same stuff we all deal with.

And I heard my favorite bible teacher, Beth Moore share.

That sometimes she has to go "face down."

On the carpet.

With "carpet fibers" tickling her nose.

So I tried it myself.

Life circumstances drove me to take that posture.

Face down.

I'd even call it a posture of humility.

In  complete privacy.

For me.

It was no longer an occasional practice.

It became my daily practice.

An effective way to pour out my heart.

With what's on my mind.

What's troubling me.

What I'm worried about.

What I fear.

Who hurt my feelings.

What's causing me to be overwhelmed.

Yep.

It became my personal way to pray.

You should try it sometime.

Face down.

In complete privacy.

Tell Him what's on your mind.

Empty yourself out.

Don't put on pretenses.

Don't hide what's on your heart.

Speak truth.

He knows anyway.

But say it to Him.

Then sit up.

Blow your nose if necessary.

And get on with your day.

Give it a try.

Because sometimes.

Only face down will do.

And time with Him?

It's always a good investment.

"The world, with its nonstop demands, can be put on hold.  Most people 
put me on hold, rationalizing that someday they will find time to focus on me. 
But the longer people push me into the background of their lives, the harder it is 
for them to find me.  "I have called you to follow me on a solitary path, making 
time alone with me your highest priority and deepest joy...."    

July 17th "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.


No comments:

Post a Comment